Thank you for your patience and understanding while the library has been closed during the Covid-19 situation. We know you are anxious to be able to use the library again and we have been working on plans to provide the safest service possible to you. The library will reopen on Monday, June 8th.
These are the things you need to know about how library service will look for awhile:
- We will have limited hours. Monday & Thursday 2:00-7:00, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday 10:00-3:00 and Saturday will be 10:00-1:00. The first hour of each day will be reserved for those over 65, pregnant women, and those with compromised immune systems.
- Social distancing should be observed. Please stay 6 feet away from other people as much as possible. Masks are encouraged for all patrons over the age of 3.
- We will have limited public computer access to allow for appropriate distancing and computer time will be limited to 1 hour per day, per patron. MASKS ARE REQUIRED FOR COMPUTER USERS; the library has some available if you do not own one. Please bring your own headphones as they will not be provided, but are required if you are listening to audio.
- We will encourage people to put items on hold, using the online catalog or over the phone, and do a quick pick up, rather than a leisurely browse.
- We may have to limit the number of people in the building at one time and/or how long they can stay.
- Casual seating will be limited and there will be no board books, toys or puppets in the children’s area.
- We will offer a summer reading program, but it will be a little different. The preferred way to register and to track your reading is online using Reader Zone. We will have a paper option for those who prefer that. Reader Zone offers badges upon completion. We will have Brag Tags for prizes, as well as prize drawings throughout the summer programs. We will also offer take and make activity bags during the summer program.
- As sad as it makes us, there are no in person programs being scheduled at this time.
- Story Time will continue to be live on Facebook at 10:30 on Tuesdays. It is also recorded so you can view at a later time.
- The Archer Room will not be available for rental.
- We will continue our sidewalk service for those that are not comfortable coming in the building.
- The book drops will be open 24/7 so you can return items in book drops if you are not comfortable coming into the building.
We have participated in a number of online meetings with other libraries and library officials, not only from Kansas but from across the United States, to find the best ways to safely offer library services. We, like many other libraries, will be going through several stages during reopening, adding more services when they are deemed safe. Libraries have unique challenges to overcome during reopening. Unlike most retail business, we not only have items going out but also items coming back in. We have been advised that these items should be quarantined for at least 72 hours. We know these circumstances aren’t ideal but we are committed to giving you the best and safest service we can in a challenging situation.
We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you soon. Further updates on the library’s reopening plans will be posted on the library front door, Facebook and the library web site (https://garnett.mykansaslibrary.org/) as they become available. As always, don’t hesitate to call us (785-448-3388) if you have any questions.
Current Hours – Monday & Thursday 2-7, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 10-3 and Saturday 10-1. The first hour of every day is reserved for those over 65, pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems.